Fort Strother served as the primary advance supply base during Andrew Jackson’s
campaigns against the Red Sticks. Named after John Strother, Jackson’s topographical
engineer, the fort was built in November 1813 on the Coosa River at a spot known as
Ten Islands. From this fort, Jackson moved to relieve the friendly Creeks besieged at
Talladega and later on, launched a foray that resulted in the battles of Emuckfau and
Enitichapoco Creeks. Fort Strother was also the location where Jackson was forced to
deal with the near-mutiny of his troops.
An historic marker and interpretive signage for Fort Strother is located in St. Clair
County on Highway 144 near the Henry-Neely Dam on the Coosa River.