Fort St. Philip
Often referred to as the “key to Louisiana,” Fort St. Philip was located eighty miles south of New Orleans and
protected the city from an assault up the river from its mouth. During the campaign for New Orleans, the fort
contained over thirty guns and a garrison of approximately four hundred. From January 9 through 18, 1815, Fort St.
Philip withstood a nine-day bombardment from the British Navy following Jackson’s victory at New Orleans.
Fort St. Philip is located in Plaquemines Parish thirty miles north of the mouth of the Mississippi River. Situated on the
east bank, the fort site lies on private property and is only accessible by boat. Located almost directly across the river
from the site is Fort Jackson, a fort constructed in the 1830s. The site, located off Louisiana Highway 23 near Venice,
is currently closed to the public due to damage from Hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005.
Looking toward Fort St. Philip from Fort Jackson